You can look up ways to market your business, you can look up ways to be happier and you can look up information about just any problem you are having. But what is the “clincher”? You are getting an opinion designed for everyone, not just you!
I give a lot of value by publishing a book about being a better lawyer. It is extremely helpful and is really a self help book for lawyers. But, believe me, it’s nothing like working with me in a one on one coaching arrangement. This is also true of the talks that I give. You get value but then you may not be able to actually use it.
I’m sure you’ve been told the next step is to find out where your target market hangs out, what they read, etc.
FORGET THAT: START TO GET CREATIVE WITH THIS.
Sorry, I couldn’t get to my blog last week. Next week I’m going to be on vacation but THIS WEEK I want to share something I think is exciting. I have developed a new coaching program for people in law school and recent graduates. Here it is:
Since the downturn in the economy in 2008, Law School Students are finding it harder to get legal jobs right after law school. A much more aggressive and pre planned approach is necessary these days to insure success.
Additionally, the larger debt owed by students has created even more stress in obtaining work as soon as possible. Consequently new tactics in job preparation as well as job searches and decisions needs to be made by Law Students starting in their first year of law school.
Since it is the first of the year, it is still great fun to talk about money! Last blog you got on it and created a plan to find out if you were meeting your monthly nut. Today, I thought it would be fun to take a look at a few hints or “sound bits” that you might do immediately and make more money.
- RAISE YOUR FEES: Even a small increase of fees will bring you substantially more revenue. Its January and the perfect time to tell your clients that its time to raise fees. Or, don’t tell them until you start doing it and ask if they want to pay you a retainer now at the old fee scale. Money will go into your trust account and be reimbursed if it isn’t used but it will be accessible immediately, saving your wait time.
- PAY YOURSELF FIRST: This is one of the oldest but wisest tips for earning more. When you get revenue put 10% of it in a interest earning (LOL) bank account that is sacrosanct and don’t touch it.
If you can decide this upfront, you can get whatever you want or need. It’s as simple as that.
The catch is that you have to come up with a wished for result that is reasonable and available. I can’t ask that the result I want is to become a star ballerina within a year’s time (or a life time) because that is not reasonable nor achievable for me. I could ask, however, that I become a good salsa dancer in a year’s time and that is achievable if I am willing to plan carefully and be committed to my goal.
You ask, how is this different from setting a goal? Good question. Answer is that you have an “end” to work back from and are clear about what you want. This makes goal setting much easier and more rewarding because you know exactly what you want the goal to materialize into.
As part of my coaching practice, I have seen how different the legal job market is from even just few years ago. So, we really have to approach it differently.
If this program or coaching using this type of information could help someone or an organization, please suggest they read this blog. Thank you.
- I don’t ask for help because I don’t need it.
- I can figure it out by myself.
- I have the internet and I can look up anything I need to know.