CONFIDENCE: “belief in one’s own abilities” . At least that what Webster says.
We talk about Lack of Confidence. That Confidence is so important in business as well as social situations. That Confidence is what allows us to do outstanding work. Everyone would certainly say that it is a good thing to have Confidence.
SO WHAT MAKES CONFIDENCE?
- Some would say that it is the way we were brought up that either gives us a sense of belief in our abilities or hampers that belief by negative feedback.
- This can come from a home environment or from a later social or school environment which either encourages Confidence or hinders it.
- Do all babies have Confidence? I would say yes, until they are proven wrong. Thus the child that cries and get feed gains the ability to know that needs are met if asked for. If not, then Confidence dwindles.
- Parents who encourage children to do tasks which they are suited for, allows the child to gain confidence in their abilities.
- What about the teacher that shames the student in class and diminishes his or her Confidence in ever making a future statement in class. So we see that Confidence can be shut off even later in life.
- Socially, we hear endless songs about the lovers who get betrayed and turned down. Confidence to even reach out to further social situations is lost when our hearts get broken. Having one good relationship early in life can build confidence in later social situations…..and so it goes.
WE ALL KNOW THIS, SO WHAT IS NEXT?
We would guess that the next discussion should be how to gain Confidence when you find you lack it. But is that the place to start? Maybe Confidence building is not that simple. Take, for instance the person who relies on others for his or her Confidence. Or the person who isolates so that no one knows they don’t have the confidence to face the world. Or the person that the outside world would never know lacks Confidence only in certain areas?
So the world of Confidence is much more complex than just giving hints about how to gain MORE CONFIDENCE.
LET’S TALK ABOUT YOUR CONFIDENCE
Getting right down to the important thing for all of us is to discuss how Confident are you about your abilities to get what you need and deserve?
- Do you feel you can get a new job or career if necessary?
- Can you get and maintain a long term relationship?
- Can you identify the things that make you happy?
- Can you make a sufficient living to obtain the wealth you need to live at a reasonable standard?
- Do you have a support system including really good friends and other casual friends?
- Can you support and encourage your spouse, children and other family members in their lives and goals?
- And on and on……
NEXT WEEK THINK ABOUT YOUR OWN LEVEL OF CONFIDENCE AS WE CONTINUE TO EXPLORE THIS FASCINATING SUBJECT…. I PROMISE MORE “GOOD STUFF” IS TO COME!!!!