Yes, I am leaving Friday, June 20th and not coming back until July 8th. So I am leaving you with three “Action Tasks” that you can complete while I’m gone. These will work for all lawyers, in whatever career space you are in……so let’s get started:
1. ORGANIZE YOUR OFFICE.
- Everyone has an office. It may be at home on the kitchen table, but it is where you do your work. So the first step is to go through all the papers on your desk and file them into A. trash can B. do now C. do later piles. D. File
- Now look in your drawers. Are they messy? clean each one out.
- Clean your cookies and other junk off your computer.
- Next, look at each of your files. Is there something that needs to be done? If so, put on your “to do” list. Is there some files you need to get rid of? Put them in a special place.
This should take you at least a day or several days doing it piecemeal.
2. DO SOMETHING JUST FOR YOURSELF
- Schedule some time in your calendar to do something you have been wanting to do. Maybe have a non business lunch. Maybe have a massage. Maybe go to the gym or a hike. Read a book. Give yourself at least 2 hours to do an activity that is just for you.
- Meditate on how that feels. Practice your mindfulness technique to zero in on how it feels to just listen to your needs.
3. GO TO ONE NETWORKING EVENT YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN TO BEFORE.
- Pick out a networking event that you have never attended.
- Put the date in your calendar
- Plan what you want to accomplish at the event. How many biz cards do you want to get? What time will you arrive? depart?
- Practice your elevator speech.
- Ask at least one person who their target audience is. Write that on their biz card. Let them see you do that.
- Give out at least 5 pieces of paper wrapped chocolates with your biz card.
- When you get to your office put the biz cards you got into your contacts list.
So now you have three very different “Action Tasks”. Let’s get started. I challenge you to do all three while I’m gone. I promise they will make you a better lawyer! and human being!